Monday, December 31, 2007

Working the Graveyard Shift May Be Dangerous

Some scientists believe that people who work the graveyard shift are more prone to getting cancer. This includes people (like me) who like to stay up late working at home.

I found the following statement on Donald Trump's blog:

"Scientists suspect that overnight work is dangerous because it disrupts the body’s biological clock. In addition, a hormone which can suppress tumor development is normally produced at night. People who work nights also tend to sleep less. Not getting enough sleep makes your immune system vulnerable to attack, and less able to fight off cancerous cells."

The blog continues, "If this theory is correct, millions of people worldwide could be affected. Experts estimate that nearly 20 percent of the workers in developed countries work nightshifts."

I, personally, hope this turns out to be false information, because I am definitely a night owl and I know many others. To me, the night time is the best time for brainstorming and hammering out new ideas.

However if this theory does have some merit, I'll have to start going to bed earlier. Nothing's worth getting cancer!

No comments:

Post a Comment