Thursday, February 11, 2010

Using A Free Email Address Is Bad For Business

If you are a company, an organization, or just an individual brand, you should not be using free email address accounts as your primary form of communication.

What is a free email address account? Any email address that ends in @Hotmail.com, @Yahoo.com, @Gmail.com, @AOL.com, etc.

If your name is Grace and the name of your business is Grace Publishing, it makes you look unprofessional and "small" if your primary email address is gracepublishing@yahoo.com.

Instead, your primary email address should be grace@gracepublishing.com or even info@gracepublishing.com - hosted on your own domain name.

This simple implementation will make your company (and you) sound and look a lot more legit. Even more, it looks better on your business cards and on your promo material.

Setting up and managing email addresses on your own domain is very easy to do. It's called business email hosting.

There are several affordable services that can help you with this.

I recommend Everyone.net, Gmail Business, or RackSpace.com. Of the three, I like Gmail Business the best because they only charge you $50 a year per email, and their functionality is very impressive.

Making the change will only take you a few minutes, and the configuration will be completed in just one day.

Your email address may not be free anymore, but the small cost is well worth it!

5 comments:

  1. I've been telling people this for YEARS! I can't take anyone serious if they are using a free email account for business!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch - I am guilty! I am also teachable. A professional e-mail address will be established for my great company ASAP! Thanks for the useful information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get registration request with free email contact. Some biz owners just dont get it. Use common sense...Oops almost forgot what a metor told me long ago.
    Common Sense Is Not Common!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That explains the problems that General Motors, Ford, and Citibank are having!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your website! I would love for you to review my new book entitled: THE DAD I NEVER HAD: 101 AFFIRMATIONS to FREE YOURSELF FROM an ABSENTEE FATHER.I AM A 19 YEAR OLD CHILD OF DIVORCE MYSELF, AND I HAVE LEARNED HOW TO OVERCOME MY FEELINGS OF REJECTION CAUSED BY AN ABSENTEE FATHER. IF YOU EMAIL ME AT tmdpictures@aol.com I WILL SEND YOU A FREE COPY TO REVIEW!!! THANKS AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK :)

    ReplyDelete