Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Don't Allow Your Personal Issues To Run Down Your Business

Whatever is going wrong in your personal life (marital issues, problems with kids, sickness or death in the family, etc.), you must learn to keep this away from your business affairs.

If not, your company will be adversely affected and it will begin to manifest itself in many different ways. Your productivity will slow down, your creativity will diminish, and your profits will drop. Even worse, you will be unmotivated to do anything about it.

Consider this experience from Linda Finkle, an expert on organizational communication:

Many years ago I was dealing with an issue that involved one of my children. It was a difficult and very challenging time for me and the rest of my family. A few close friends knew, but I felt that I couldn't or shouldn't let others know... Then one day, a client told me she thought I wasn't interested in her as a client anymore. When I asked why, she confided that I seemed distracted when we met and that I didn't send her emails or respond to her as I had in the past. I realized that while I thought I had myself under control, I didn't.

Finkle advises, "During difficult times, size up your work load and priorities. Focus on what must be done and let everything else go. Make a point of reminding yourself that you can't do it all, and only the things that absolutely must be done will get attention."

She continues, "Ask for help from others and accept it graciously. For some reason, most people are hesitant or embarrassed about asking for help. It is during these times that we need others the most, so don't deprive yourself during these difficult times. And remember to take time for yourself. Going through a trying time will wear on you emotionally and physically, so take time to go to the gym, play golf, read a book or take a long, relaxing bath."

In addition to this, my advice is to learn to compartmentalize, that is, to separate your mind into isolated compartments or categories. This way, the personal issues you are facing will only have an impact on your personal life - and vice versa.

We all have problems and we all face difficulties from time to time. Its a part of life. However, a successful entrepreneur knows how to simultaneously weather the storm and keep his/her business both afloat and profitable. This is easier said then done, but it can be accomplished.

2 comments:

  1. This was very helpful. At the moment I've been going through a separation in which I've been tormented about mentally. My business seem to slow, but I'm going to take the advise and journey on. AL-Mississippi

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit it right on the head with this article. I am glad to receive this today.

    ReplyDelete