Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Affiliate Revenue Is Real: I Made $200,000 In 2008

Believe it or not, but many people are making millions in annual revenue through affiliate marketing.

Affiliate marketing (also referred to as performance marketing) is when an advertiser pays a web site owner or blogger, not upfront, but only when someone clicks on the ad and completes an action - either buying something or completing an online form. This is commonly referred to as PPA (Pay-Per-Action), PPS (Pay-Per-Sale), or PPL (Pay-Per-Lead).

Some affiliate programs like Google Adsense will pay you whenever someone clicks on your ad, whether they complete an action or not. This is called PPC or Pay-Per-Click.

The concept is huge and very real; I've been doing it for about 10 years. My company made over $500,000 in 2008, and just under $200,000 of that came from affiliate marketing.

Here are my 2008 stats:

Rextopia.com = $32,000
AKMG.com = $9,700
HydraNetwork.com = $89,000
Google Adsense = $52,000
CJ.com = $5,100
VCMleads.com = $10,000
___________________________

Total = $197,800


This looks like a lot of money, but it is only pennies on the dollar. I know people who are doing $200,000 - $500,000 a month in affiliate revenue.

The key is that your web site has to get a lot of traffic, and you have to find relevant affiliate programs that cater to your audience. You also have to find ways to creatively promote the offers to your audience.

Plan to attend events focus on affiliate marketing, such as Ad Tech (www.ad-tech.com) and Affiliate Summit (www.affiliatesummit.com). Their conferences are usually held in New York, San Francisco, Miami, Las Vegas, Boston, and Chicago. The workshops are very helpful, and they have an expo where you can meet and interact with a lot of affiliate marketing and internet technology companies.

Also, subscribe to Revenue Magazine (www.revenuetoday.com) - a very good publication that reports on affiliate marketing trends and opportunities.

My goal in 2009 is to double or triple my affiliate revenue. I plan to do more research, more networking, and get more traffic to my sites.

There's too much money out there, and I want a bigger piece of the pie.

4 comments:

  1. Dante:

    Congrats on your affiliate marketing success, and best wishes for an even more prosperous year in 2009. I enjoy your blog. Keep up the good work.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you educate a brother as to what kinds of traffic numbers you're getting to your site that generates this kind of revenue? It would help us other budding webtrepreneurs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dante, thanks for the information. I am new to internet marketing...In my first year, however, it really do take lots of research, but thanks to those like yourself and some others that are willing and freely sharing information that can and do assist those of us that are new to it, it is not going to take some of us as long to reach the success that you and some others have. Love your blogs. Always good reading so much so, I feed it into my network, The Black Business Cafe. Found you when we first started in March by accident. Keep doing what you do and again, thanks for the information. Great Post!!

    Charlene Brown
    Visionary
    The Black Business Cafe
    www.theblackbusinesscafe.ning.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Dante! We need to nominate you for Black Enterprise's Top Entrepreneur issue in January 2010.

    I am starting Ad Words today on my blog, but I haven't generated any real traffic yet with all the hard work I've been doing. So, I'm afraid about how things will turn out.

    Maybe you all can help. I see from my Analytics that you've e-mailed some of my articles to people. I appreciate that so much man! But I need MORE help!

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete