Friday, February 6, 2009

Note To Self: Don't Do Anything Stupid If You Ever Get An Endorsement Deal

First it was baseball star Barry Bonds. Then, football star Michael Vick. Now, Olympic swimming star Michael Phelps has lost a major endorsement deal for doing something stupid.

USA Today reports that cereal and snack maker Kellogg Co. will not renew its sponsorship contract with Michael Phelps because of a recent photo circulating that shows him inhaling from a marijuana pipe.

Kellogg had been featuring Phelps on the front of their Frosted Flakes and Corn Flakes cereal boxes.

The deal was reportedly worth millions, but apparently these lucrative once-in-a-lifetime contracts are hard opportunities to maintain.

Because it seems like such an easy thing to forget, I'm writing a personal note to myself. I'm going to post it on my bulletin board, add it to my iPhone calendar, and then send an email to myself. My note reads: "Don't do anything stupid if you ever get a million-dollar endorsement deal. Or at least don't get caught."

3 comments:

  1. My goodness. Well said. I could not believe it when I heard the news. I live in Columbia, SC and admitedly there is little to do here, but for goodness sake...he definitely could have found something else. Many people would have died for this chance of a lifetime. Just plain stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too late. We have all already done something stupid. The question is will they find out?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now, Chris Brown...

    ReplyDelete