Sunday, May 3, 2009

If I Owned A Restaurant...

Restaurants are closing down all over the country. Many have been in business for years, but are not able to weather the current economic storm. I hate to say it, but many are simply not using some basic strategies that would make a huge difference.

I have no intentions of ever owning a restaurant. I have absolutely no interest in the restaurant industry. However, if I owned one - here are some things that I would do to keep my business afloat:

1) I would allow people to eat for free on their birthdays because in most cases they will be accompanied by family and friends who, of course, will have to pay to eat.

2) I would make sure to get the email addresses, cell phone numbers, and mailing addresses of everyone who walks in my restaurant. With their permission, once a week I would email and/or text them coupons and specials. Also, once a month I would mail them some type of promotional postcard.

3) I would have my waiters strongly encourage people to order dessert while ordering their appetizers and entrées. Many dessert orders are lost because people are simply too full after they're finished eating their food.

4) If my restaurant was regularly crowded, I would offer people 5% off their bill if they finished eating their food within 20 minutes. This would enable me to serve more people, instead of turning people away or having them wait for an hour or more to be seated.

5) I would always have some type of entertainment (music, comedy, etc). Research shows that people love to be entertained while eating, and are more likely to come back. This tradition was very popular back in the 1930's, but has somehow been broken. There is always a good band or piano player out there that will play for cheap.

6) I would give "free kids meal" or "free kids dessert" coupons to the local elementary schools to distribute to excelling students. Kids will harass their parents about taking them to get their free food, and the parents will likely buy something for themselves while there.

7) I would have a simple rewards program. For every five times you eat at my restaurant, you get a free meal worth the value of what you spend on average. For instance, if you spent an average of $15 every time you come - your sixth visit would include a free meal up to $15. This would encourage people to be regular customers.

8) Finally, I would have a carryout service and give all my customers a refrigerator magnet that displays my restaurant's phone number and web site. This will help them remember that I exist, and that they can order carryout on the phone or online.

These are just a few things I would do, that I notice that 90% of all restaurants don't do. Whether you own a restaurant or not, don't ever allow your business to fail because you didn't implement some simple, easy, cost-effective ideas.

3 comments:

  1. Great ideas for restaurants. I have seen some of these, but not all in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all the good information you give out. One day I will be using your services in a special way to help grow my business. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those are excellent suggestions and very encouraging during these trying times.

    ReplyDelete