Friday, October 23, 2009

Lack of Diversity - A Classic Mistake

It still shocks me that many companies don't embrace diversity of any sort in their advertising campaigns. In fact, it baffles me.

This country has millions of minorities. Nearly 40 million African Americans, another 40 million Hispanics, about 5 million Asian Americans, and another 1 million or so Native Americans.

Just yesterday, I was watching late night television and noticed two companies that are very guilty of this. One was Hydroxycut and the other was GetARoom.com - both of whom have several commercials that only feature white actors and models.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pick on these two companies. There are plenty of others that do the exact same thing.

I'm just perplexed as to why they wouldn't want to include minorities in their ads. Research shows that minorities respond favorably to advertising that features people that look like them. Being that more than 35% of the country are minorities, I don't understand why any company would not want to tap in to this market share.

Do the folks at Hydroxycut think that minorities don't want to lose weight?

Do the folks at GetARoom.com think that minorities don't stay in hotels?

Or are they both too ignorant and think that they can capture all audiences without making an effort to be more diverse?

Seriously, this is basic stuff - Diversity Marketing 101.

3 comments:

  1. Hydroxycut was banned by the FDA recently or pulled of the self due to causing people Liver damage......so im not crying over them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear Dante,u give THE BEST business tips! Luv ur class! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer not to call myself a minority. Minor, meaning less than and that works on the subconscious no matter how anyone attempts to justify it. I prefer the term "People of Color". This includes ALL the groups you mentioned. There are noted Black Social Scientist who agree.

    Mrs. MJ

    ReplyDelete