Monday, August 2, 2010

Top 10 Businesses That Don't Go Out of Business

Any business can be successful, but some seem to stick around no matter what. In my personal observations, I've noticed that the following types of businesses rarely fail:

1) Daycare or Child Care Centers
2) Barbershops/Hair or Nail Salons
3) Office Cleaning companies
4) Auto Repair/Maintenance shops
5) Convenience stores
6) Gas stations
7) Taxi/Shuttle services
8) Movie theaters
9) Doctors/Dentist offices
10) Fitness Centers and Spas

I don't think I've ever heard of any of these types of companies going out of business, unless they were bought out or merged with another company. Other than that, they seem to survive just fine - even in a bad economy.

On the contrary, the businesses that are most likely to go out of business seem to be restaurants, clothing/fashion companies, magazines and newspapers, consulting firms, record labels and these days - banks. However, many have successfully defied the odds.

3 comments:

  1. Stephanie L. JonesAugust 2, 2010 at 9:30 AM

    Dante, I Love your nuggets. You really should add the SHARE button right in the body of the email, so that I can quickly share them on fb and Twitter.

    Anyhow, I would definitely add some more to this one. So many of these businesses have failed in my hometown. I believe that it's because most of them are ran so unprofessionally. Perhaps I'm looking too deep into your point (forgive me if so). But there are more empty hair salons, barbershops, movie theaters, and most of the above floating around my city.

    Again, love you post!
    Agape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Stephanie. In Atlanta, there is a high turnover of hair salons or at least stylists. In the last two years, I've gone through five stylists and not because I'm a chair hopper! Salons do close down and stylists have to move on to the next spot. I'm praying that my latest stylist remains in her new gig.

    In terms of barbershops. They stay full esp. on the wknds, but I believe that has a lot to do with price. You'll hardly see a guy pay $30 for a cut unless he's got a funky fresh design.

    To your point, I have seen favorite restaurants close and also fashion boutiques. Those companies that are faring well are those who can keep prices and value reasonable for a broader audience; these days, that means the middle class and the wealthy (hey even they shop at my favorite discounter, which says a lot about life and money)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have to disagree w/this. these are the most turned over businesses because there are so many of them! what market did he review and research? i have 10 friends that own each one of these types operation, they will tell you it's harder to succeed in these businesses, a fight to keep doors open. oh, and cleaning service is suffering bad right now because of the economy. People now in-house clean, outsourcing is out the window with the cleaning supplies and fitness is now dvd.....

    ReplyDelete