Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Learn How To Screen People

Everyday I receive phone calls from people proposing or promising to "partner" with me and help me grow my business. These aren't telemarketers either; These are other entrepreneurs supposedly "networking" with me.

The problem is that very few of them actually follow up on what they propose, and some turn out to be very shady. Therefore, I've learned over time to "screen" people.

I've learned that just because someone tells you that they want to do business with you, doesn't necessarily mean that they are serious. Many just want to tell you their life story. Others want something for free. And others are trying to take advantage of you with unfair barter proposals.

Don't let these people waste your time. I'm not saying not to trust anyone, or to be over-sensitive about people. Just be careful with people you don't know, even if its a well-known celebrity.

Sometimes people will try to earn your trust by bringing up their credentials. However, this doesn't necessarily make them legit.

We live in a world full of murderers, child abusers, drug addicts, and more. Don't think for one second that shady and dishonest entrepreneurs don't exist!

Ask them what their purpose in calling is, and find out upfront what exactly they want you to do for them. If it doesn't sound fair, thorough, or meaningful - That person is wasting your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment