Monday, December 10, 2007

Being Positive Is Good, But Not Enough

It's good to be a positive thinker, but don't think for one second that that's all you have to do. Being a successful entrepreneur requires more than just having a optimistic outlook.

Some people believe that they should spend all their time listening to motivational speakers, staying inspired - and the rest will happen. This is false reasoning.

I don't care how motivated you are, you will not be successful until you become a hard worker. Hard work means putting in the time and energy that it takes to build a company. Some people say, "Don't work hard, work smart." Truth be told, you need to work hard and smart because building a profitable business requires genuine effort.

Don't be mistaken! I'm not trying to downplay being optimistic. I just think a lot of people are confused; they superstitiously believe that success is guaranteed to come to those who are "strong believers". This has been referred to as "The Law of Attraction."

The only law I'm familiar with in business is the "The Law of Productivity". Its all about getting things accomplished, and closing out each day with several tasks completed.

Ask any successful entrepreneur, and they will tell you that thinking positive is only a small factor of the equation. You have to get your hands dirty and get some work done.

Understand that there are no shortcuts in business. You can NOT take the elevator to success, you have to take the stairs - and these stairs are steep with no rails to hold onto.

So think positive, but also think realistically. Success is not coming your way, you have to go get it!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Dante. Thinking about adding a blog category to our website www.BlackBusinessServices.com and wanted you to be the first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I just wanted to say that finding your blog was like an oasis in the desert - no kidding. I like the simple style layout, no 'bells and whistles' and your advice is good. As a person who has recently started a blog I am also (like anonymous) trying to find blogs that I think will interest my readers. I'm controversial and speak my mind but want my readers to know about blogs that are produced to a high standard. I wish you the best in your ventures and will defintely purchase your book when it is published - please add me to your newsletter list and anything else of interest. I will add your site to my blog regardless of whether you link with mine - it's that good!! Congrats cos I know how challenging it can be pulling it all together.
    Regards, Zee Harrison
    http://www.blackwomanthinks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for adding value to the "Black business experience". We invite you to visit us at the National Black Business Trade Association (NBBTA) - http://www.nbbta.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dante,
    we must plan to work smart before working hard!

    Clarence
    http://lawofattractionmistakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete