Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Business of Selling Hip Hop Clothing

Hip Hop clothing companies have been making millions for years. Some of the early companies were Karl Kani, FUBU, Pelle Pelle, and Cross Colours. In more recent years, we've seen Rocawear, Sean Jean, Avirex, Phat Farm, and others dominate in sales.

Back in November 2008, I wrote a blog about how such companies are thriving despite a bad economy. Not only are they doing well, but retailers who sell their products are doing well.

One great example is Dr. Jays - a popular storefront in New York City and a popular web site (www.DrJays.com) that sells over 50 different brands of hip hop clothing. This includes jeans, shirts, hoodies, underwear, footwear, and accessories.

I was recently on their web site and was amazed at how extensive their catalog is. After conducting some research, I was further amazed to find that their web site is visited by 500,000 different people every month.

These visitors are obviously actual shoppers because Spoke.com reports that their annual revenue is between $1 and $10 million. I'm guessing, closer to $10 million.

Entrepreneurs and business owners should take a close look at how people spend money during a recession. Women are known to continue to spend money on hair and makeup. Men will spend money on music and video games. And apparently, young people (both men and women) will spend their money on fashion.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Mr Lee. I have been reading your blogs for a few months now, always good tips and advice. But finally u said something about what I'm trying to do hip hop clothes I have researched for months with no reward my question is how can I find these wholesalers I'm looking for kids clothes I've studied this market and know this is where the money is. But i can find a supplier I've contacted Dr jays they don't wholesale this is so frustrating. Do u have any advice for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hip Hop clothing is very popular these days.!! DrJays is the best place to get hip hop clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I definitely agree with you there Harry. now a days there's a lot of people who really want to wear those hip hop clothing.

    -sidney-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well… I visit your website first time and found this site very useful and interesting! Well… you guys doing nice work and I just want to say that keep rocking and keep it up!!!!
    Adam
    knightsbridge business sales

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hip Hop clothing is a multimillion dollar business.

    ReplyDelete