Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Are Your Prices Too High?

I work with a lot of authors, and it always surprises me when first-time authors are selling their books for $25. In my opinion, $25 for a book is very expensive - especially when people have never heard of you. Even $20 is just too much.

I've also seen people selling their independent DVDs, CDs, etc for just way too much money. Sadly, these people lose so much on sales because people just don't feel the item is worth that much.

What about the prices for your services and products? Are they too high? Are you losing customers because they feel you are too expensive?

The best way to price whatever it is that you're selling is to look at your competition, and go lower. If your competition is selling books for $15, sell your book for $12. If your competition is selling DVDs for $20, sell yours for $15.

Don't get so hung up on the idea of only making a tiny profit per sale. Which would you prefer - to make a $1 profit on thousands of individual sales, or to make a $0 profit on no sales?

Go with the Walmart method. Underprice your item, and take the lower profit. You'll make up for it in volume.

Make sure to do this the first time around - before you launch your promotional campaign. If people visit your web site and feel your prices are too high, they won't be coming back after you realize your mistake and decide to lower the price. You have to capitalize on their initial inquiry.

2 comments:

  1. Dante I think you generally provide good business tidbits. However, I take issue with your generalization about pricing. Pricing strategy is a serious conversation where many factors need to be taken into consideration. You can not be the low cost player long term if you are not the low cost producer. If your business model is predicated on service, high touch and high quality products, pricing lower than your competitors may not be the right strategy. Your pricing structure could send a signal to the customer... “My products are worthless".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dante, Thank you for the pricing suggestion. I began pricing the same as my competition and received no sales. I make a high end product that women love to check out, but the price put them off. So I have lowered prices a little below the competition, and am now making money. I can inch up pricing, as I become more known. You give great advice.
    www.pippihepburn.com

    ReplyDelete