Monday, December 1, 2008

Never Check E-Mail In the Morning

I was recently in a book store, and saw a business book by Julie Morgenstern entitled Never Check E-Mail In The Morning. I didn't even need to pick the book up because it instantly dawned on me why that is a very good idea.

Checking email in the morning can wear you down before your day has even started. If you're like me, you get over 100 emails every single day. The problem is that reading and scanning emails not only can wear on your mind, but also on your eyes.

Doing this in the beginning of the day only inhibits any activities that you planned to do in the afternoon and evening. By then, you've already sucked up your brain's juice - so to speak.

Even more, reading and replying to email these days can take an hour or two or more - and before you know it you've wasted the whole morning doing this. For most of us, the whole morning can be half of our day.

The better idea is to check email in the late afternoon. This way you can use your morning energy on more productive activities such as sales calls, brainstorming, enhancing your company's services or products, strengthening your relationships with existing clients, and more.

3 comments:

  1. I start checking emails at like 6am and it is so draining. I have my one main email address and I have that going to my Treo so I guess..... it really isn't that serious to wake up and go right to the computer.

    I am going to share this with my listeners tomorrow (of course I will cite my source)

    Sai Browne

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are on point with this one. I need to do better! Thanks for the article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, this is Zack from Isaacs PR.
    It actually works differently for me. I check my e-mail in the morning, afternoon, and evening. But I stay busy in between those times.

    E-mail helps me think of new ways to build my PR consulting business. Right now, I'm in the test phase before I file the official paperwork and all that stuff. So, the blog is helpful to me attracting potential clients because they see my work in action.

    GREAT POST!

    ReplyDelete